Sexual assault happens to males as well. Recent headlines surrounding the athletics departments at Penn State and UW-Madison, have brought this issue to the forefront and heightened our awareness of the long-lasting impact of sexual trauma no matter who the victim may be.
- 1 in 6 for Men : A national organization dedicated to providing support and resources for male survivors; also en español: http://1in6.org/bajo-desarrollo/.
- Myths and Facts page.
- Downloadable Outreach Materials (in English and Spanish); a highlight: the Peer Support Guidebook [available as PDF].
- Trainings for Professionals
- Male Survivor: Overcoming the Sexual Victimization of Boys & Men – a national organization providing resources for male survivors.
- Male Survivor Forums (online electronic bulletin board)
- National Alliance to End Sexual Violence (NAESV): Where We Stand report - Male Survivors.
VAWNet.org (National Online Resource Center on Violence Against Women): Special Collection: Men and Boys: Preventing Sexual and Intimate Partner Violence [link to web page; some male survivor resources].
Men as Allies:
Look, Kitten, I am too a feminist! Fauxminism and Men (blog article).
Athletics & Hazing:
Intervention for Boys and Teens:
Coaching Boys into Men: Program equips coaches with tools to help young athletes build respectful, non-violent relationships.
What Works For Male Children And Adolescents: Lessons from Experimental Evaluations of Programs and Interventions [PDF]: Child Trends Fact Sheet; useful table (starts on pg. 10).
The Myth of the Mama’s Boy: We never worry about an involved father "masculinizing" his daughter. Why do such fears persist about a feminizing aspect of mothering?: March 16, 2012 Magazine.
Men Struggle for Rape Awareness: Keith Smith was 14 when he was raped by a driver who picked him up after a hockey team meeting. He had hitchhiked home, which is why, for decades, he continued to blame himself for the assault: Jan. 23, 2012 online.
How Can We Stop Pedophiles?: Stop Treating them like Monsters: Jennifer Bleyer: Sept. 24, 2012 Slate.com.
Generation Rapist: Is online porn making boys violent? Elizabeth Braw: Feb. 28, 2013 Metro World News.