The Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault creates the social change necessary to end sexual violence.
Our mission is based on the following philosophy:
- We believe it is a basic human right to live free of sexual violence.
- We believe that everyone has a role and a responsibility in this work.
- We do not do this work in isolation. We believe in the importance of collaborations and alliance building.
- Our work is driven by survivors’ voices. Survivors and all those affected by sexual violence deserve compassionate services, dignity, privacy, and respect.
- We believe that this work is based in a feminist perspective that sexual violence is rooted in oppressive power relations.
- We believe that sexual violence is any unwanted sexual contact (verbal and/or physical), including rape, incest, child sexual assault, ritual abuse, acquaintance rape/assault, intimate partner or marital rape, sexual harassment, exposure, and voyeurism. Sexual violence refers to acts of violence where sex is used as the weapon.
- We believe that diversity and safe, accessible services are fundamental to social change.
- We believe in the power of advocacy, education, prevention, and driving public policy as agents of social change.