Considerations of Identity
Sexual assault happens to males as well – and recent headlines surrounding the athletics departments at Penn State and UW-Madison, have brought this issue to the forefront and heightened our awareness of the long-lasting impact of sexual trauma no matter who the victim may be.
- 1 in 6 for Men – a national organization dedicated to providing support and resources for male survivors; also en español: http://1in6.org/bajo-desarrollo/
- Myths and Facts page
- Downloadable Outreach Materials (in English and Spanish); a highlight: the Peer Support Guidebook [available as PDF]
- Trainings for Professionals
- Male Survivor - Overcoming the Sexual Victimization of Boys & Men – a national organization providing resources for male survivors.
- Male Survivor Forums (online electronic bulletin board)
- National Alliance to End Sexual Violence (NAESV) - Where We Stand report - Male Survivors
Men’s Domestic Violence Support Group
The group will start Wednesday, June 6th at 6pm.
If you want to post, there is a flyer you can download here ...
VAWNet.org (National Online Resource Center on Violence Against Women) – Special Collection: Men and Boys: Preventing Sexual and Intimate Partner Violence [link to web page; some male survivor resources]
Men as Allies:
Look, Kitten, I am too a feminist! Fauxminism and Men (article)
Athletics & Hazing:
Hazing expert warns of abuse as preseason approaches by Hank Nuwer, for NCAA.org
Intervention for Boys and Teens:
What Works For Male Children And Adolescents: Lessons from Experimental Evaluations of Programs and Interventions [PDF] – Child Trends Fact Sheet; useful table (starts on pg. 10)
The Myth of the Mama’s Boy – We never worry about an involved father "masculinizing" his daughter. Why do such fears persist about a feminizing aspect of mothering? | March 16, 2012 Magazine
Men Struggle for Rape Awareness – Keith Smith was 14 when he was raped by a driver who picked him up after a hockey team meeting. He had hitchhiked home, which is why, for decades, he continued to blame himself for the assault. | Jan. 23, 2012 online
How Can We Stop Pedophiles?: Stop Treating them like Monsters – Jennifer Bleyer | Sept. 24, 2012 Slate.com
Generation Rapist: Is online porn making boys violent? – Elizabeth Braw | Feb. 28, 2013 Metro World News