Considerations of Identity
Transgender / intersex
• Student's "Know Your Rights" Guide (link to page where guide can be downloaded)
National Center on LGBT Aging – a treasure trove of resources; some recent highlights:
- Improving the Lives of Transgender Older Adults: Recommendations for Policy and Practice is a cutting-edge report produced by SAGE and the National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) that examines the social, economic and service barriers facing transgender older adults. This report includes a detailed literature review, profiles of the experiences of transgender elders around the country and more than 60 concrete recommendations for future policymakers and practitioners.
- I Have a Transgender Client… Now What? is a fact sheet with answers to commonly asked questions service providers have when they first start working with transgender older adults. Written by the FORGE Transgender Aging Network, this Q&A can help service providers to give the best possible care to transgender elders.
- Transgender Inclusion for LGBT Organizations is an article by Harper Jean Tobin of NCTE that addresses how organizations serving LGBT older adults can better serve transgender people.
- Inclusive Questions for Older Adults: A Practical Guide to Collecting Data on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity [link to page; PDF download available] – free of charge; offers a range of tools and tips on asking questions about sexual orientation and gender identity to older adults in safe and respectful ways.
- Quick Tips for Caregivers Of Transgender Clients
- 101 Things You Can Do - We are all responsible…
- webinar and resources: Transgender 101: Serving Gender Variant Crime Victims [recorded June 2012]
FORGE also has a great series of information sheets , including:
GLSEN – Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Newtork
- Harsh Realities: The Experiences of Transgender Youth in Our Nation's Schools [report available on linked page]
"Injustice at Every Turn: A Report of the National Transgender Discrimination Survey." - available at endtransdiscrimination.org
Interactions of Latina Transgender Women with Law Enforcement – policy brief by Bienestar Human Services and Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
- The Survivor Handbook - impact of interpersonal violence on LGBTQ survivors
- The Model Policies and Best Practices guide – increasing agency capacity to serve LGBTQ survivors
- How to Respect a Transgender Person - Wikihow: http://www.wikihow.com/Respect-a-Transgender-Person
- It's OK to Be Neither: Teaching That Supports Gender-Variant Children – Melissa Bollow Tempel for Huffington Post
- Accepting Dad – blog by a father with a gender-variant child
- check out his list of Supportive Books & Media for Gender Variant /Non-conforming Kids
- DC Launches First-In-The-Nation Trans Respect Ad Campaign – BuzzFeed.com
- Redditors Get A Lesson In Tolerance of the Day – The Daily What Tumbler blog
- Joe Biden: Transgender Discrimination Is 'The Civil Rights Issue Of Our Time' The Huffington Post | By Jennifer Bendery
Posted: 10/30/2012 11:16 pm EDT Updated: 10/31/2012 2:17 pm EDT
- Sadie, 11-Year-Old Transgender Girl, Writes Essay In Response To Obama's Inauguration Speech | Huffington Post coverage of the letter written by Sadie in the wake of President Obama’s 2nd Inauguration