Policy & Law
WCASA is Wisconsin’s public policy voice for issues affecting victims of sexual violence and the Sexual Assault Service Providers (SASPs) who serve them.
On behalf of our membership, advocates, and the community at large, WCASA works on both the state and federal levels, and in criminal and civil arenas. Our main focus is on the following policy issues:
- substantive crime victim rights
- funding for sexual assault services and prevention efforts
- criminal penalties for adult and juvenile crimes involving sexual violence
- civil options for victims of sexual violence
- evidence based, victim sensitive sex offender management
- economic empowerment for victims of sexual violence
WCASA engages in direct lobbying regarding these issues, and provides technical assistance to sexual assault service providers (SASP’s) and concerned citizens who wish to participate in grassroots policy action.
The Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault works to build the capacity of professionals and systems across Wisconsin to address the legal needs of sexual assault survivors. This is achieved by:
- providing legal technical assistance to professionals who work with survivors of sexual assault
- providing trainings on various legal issues impacting survivors of sexual assault
- creating educational resources
INFORMATION & MATERIALS
The Prosecutor's Sexual Assault Reference Book (October 2009)
- Women's Law.org comprehensive overview of legal information (including links to state statutes) for women dealing with intimate partner violence; information available En Espanol.
- Legal Momentum.org - nation's oldest legal defense and education fund dedicated to advancing the rights of all women and girls. For more than 40 years, Legal Momentum has made historic contributions through litigation and public policy advocacy to advance economic and personal security for women.