- This event has passed.
Sexual Assault Victim Advocacy School (SAVAS)
May 4, 2021 @ 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Due to ongoing restrictions in response to COVID-19, WCASA will be offering its Sexual Assault Victim Advocacy School (SAVAS) online. The training will last Monday through Thursday, May 3-6, Monday through Thursday, May 10-13 and Monday through Friday, May 17-21. On Friday, May 21st, we welcome WI Office of Crime Victim Services staff, who will provide information on the CVC/SAFE, Crime Victim Rights and Safe at Home programs. These live sessions will last 2.5 hours each day and will not be recorded.
SAVAS addresses the basics of being a victim advocate — answering the crisis line, providing individual and systems advocacy and providing outreach in your community. We are adapting sessions and activities to fit the constraints of web-based learning, while striving to provide a similar experience to in-person events.
The next online SAVAS trainings are tentatively scheduled for the weeks of September 13, 20, & 27 and the weeks of November 29, December 6 and December 13, 2021.
- Monday, May 3: 1:00-3:30pm – Welcome & Introduction to SAVAS / SA Dynamics
- Tuesday, May 4: 1:00-3:30pm – Advocacy / Crisis Intervention
- Wednesday, May 5: 1:00-3:30pm – Child & Adolescent Survivors / Role Plays
- Thursday, May 6: 1:00-3:30pm – SA Outreach
- Monday, May 10: 1:00-3:30pm – Sexual Assault Laws
- Tuesday, May 11: 1:00-3:30pm – System Advocacy / Support Groups
- Wednesday, May 12: 1:00-3:30pm – Self-Care / Medical Advocacy
- Thursday, May 13: 1:00-3:30pm – Legal Advocacy
- Monday, May 17: 1:00-3:30pm – Intersection of SV & Racism
- Tuesday, May 18: 1:00-3:30pm – Anti-Racism and Advocacy
- Wednesday, May 19: 1:00-3:30pm – Working with Diverse Communities & Survivors
- Thursday, May 20: 1:00-3:30pm – Aspiring Allyship / Advocates of Color Caucus / SAVAS Wrap-up
- Friday, May 21: 1:00-3:30pm – Crime Victim Compensation; Victim Rights & Marsy’s Law; Q&A on Pre-Work Sessions
This opportunity is being offered to staff of member Sexual Assault Service Providers (SASPs) for no fee. The registration fee for staff of other organizations serving sexual assault survivors is $300 for the entire training. (see agenda).
Registration will be available in early March.