Action Alert: Contact Your Legislators Today!
January 24, 2023 — On January 23, legislation was introduced that would place an advisory referendum on the ballot during the spring election on the question as to whether Wisconsin’s 1849 abortion ban should be repealed. Since the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) overturned Roe v. Wade last June, access to abortion services in Wisconsin has ended due to the criminal abortion ban. Now is the time to contact your legislator to tell them to allow voters weigh in on whether the Legislature should repeal the abortion ban and restore the right to access safe and legal abortions in Wisconsin.
Please take the following action today:
- Call your legislator today and urge them to place an advisory referendum on the spring ballot on the question of whether the abortion ban should be repealed. You can identify who represents you here. See below for suggested talking points.
- Today I ask Representative/Senator _____ to include an advisory referendum on the spring ballot on the issue of repealing the criminal abortion ban.
- The majority of Americans support a person’s right to safe and legal abortion
- Abortion, both surgical and medication, is basic healthcare and is safe
- Reproductive health, including abortion, is an important issue for survivors
- All individuals deserve choice and access to reproductive healthcare
- Bodily autonomy is not lost when a person becomes pregnant
- Survivors of sexual violence had their autonomy violated and deserve to have it restored
- Survivors need decision-making authority over their bodies
- Access to reproductive healthcare promotes health & healing for survivors
- Medical decisions are private and should solely be between a patient & provider
- People will always need abortion care – even if it is illegal
- Abortion bans disproportionately harm Black, Indigenous and people of color (BIPOC) & marginalized communities
- Criminalizing medical care contributes to racial disparities in criminal legal responses
- Banning and/or restricting access to reproductive healthcare, including abortion, is a tactic to control and oppress women, BIPOC, and LGBTQ people